Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Job Search: Hospital Profiles

In my search for hospitals I would like to work for after graduation & passing NCLEX this summer, I decided that creating "hospital profiles" would organize my information. I am new to this whole RN job search, so I am unaware if this is a common tool for nurses to use. Here's what my hospital profile tool consists of:

Hospital Name:
Location:
Philosophy (overall and specifically nursing):
Mission:
Specialties of Care:
Awards/Recognition (e.g. Magnet status):
Nurse Empowerment (i.e. shared governance, continuing education):
Website:
Contact Info:
Specific Application Requirements (references, cover letter, etc.):
Connections (with a nurse, administrator, physician, etc. thru alumni, contacts at job fairs, contacts thru community involvement, friends, family. etc.)

Nurses have the right to be employed by a hospital that empowers them and supports high quality nursing care. The job market may be challenging, but as a highly educated professional you have the right to choose a quality employer.

Additional Resources: Your national, state, local, and specialty nursing organizations offer career resources and excellent networking opportunities. [The ANA's Career Center has a good list of resources available, which I was referred to by the Nursing Site Blog. For another example, the AACN directs you to NursePath.com.]