Saturday, January 15, 2011

Action on AONC, Snow, and Sudan


Remember when I said I was the queen of sleep deprivation? Many times, that is related to the reality that I am also the queen of procrastination. My family claims it's a "Maguire" trait, with my brother winning the ultimate procrastinator award by a landslide. That's one of the reasons why The Art of Non-Conformity was very appropriate and useful for me. In addition to transforming your views, AONC has the purpose of inspiring action. Of course throughout the book I was constantly envisioning my goals and projects I could start working on. However, I think it's best for my procrastination if I focus on daily action towards my goals. [Especially with the onset of senioritis and the threat of the mentality that claims "It's senior year, live it up!"] To ensure that you are productive, the author Chris Guillebeau states, "Create a continual metric for your most important work."

Tomorrow I head back to school-hoping I make it through the snow and hoping I can find the entrance to buildings in the 40 inches of snow. I have to evaluate how I am going to spend my time in my very last semester. My classes-finally all nursing-consist of the following: Community Health Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing, Nursing Research, and a self-designed Independent Study [includes clinical on an intermediate care unit & working one-on-one with one of my favorite professors]. In addition to classes, I am the president of a club, designated secretary of another club, peer mentor to first year nursing students, peer minister in campus ministry, and somewhat of an athlete [I'm technically done with my season, but there's still the pressure of staying in shape]. Not to mention it's my last few months living within a ten minute walk of the majority of my closest friends. So here's my "continual metric for [my] most important work":
1. Have two people review my resume each week. [My brother worked in a career office for 3 or 4 years- he had about 200 people review his resume.]
2. Read for a half hour each day [does not include reading for class].
3. Do 30 NCLEX questions each day.
4. Review ten medication flashcards each day.

I figured that's easy enough-give up some Facebook, have an extra cup of coffee to skip a nap...

Lastly, I have been trying to keep updated on the voting process in Sudan. The Sudanese are voting on a monumental referendum that would declare Northern and Southern Sudan separate countries. There has been strong support for passing the referendum, but there are major concerns over the potential for extremely violent backlash. The United States media has failed to bring attention to the voting in Sudan this week. For international news, I have found BBC news to be very informative. Check out BBC's special report page on the Sudan referendum to read more on the referendum. Here are two short videos that offer some information and perspective: