Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sleep Deprived

I am the queen of sleep deprivation.

I have worked the 12-hr night shift in home health many times. Last semester I worked several 12-hr night shifts for my clinical last semester, and I will do the same this spring. I loved the night shift....until I couldn't fall asleep until 5 am after I finished them.

The problem is that I thrive in the night hours. Before tests and papers, I can be found up until 3 or 4 in the morning. This has led to difficulty staying awake in class, illness, and burnout. [See picture on right-reenactment of me sleeping in my classes in Rome.] Just last night I found myself up until 3:30 am, just by reading and brainstorming. This is a bad habit that I need to break. I am keenly aware of my sleep deprivation's negative effects on my productivity and ability to make the most of my days.

I realize I need to work on improving my sleep patterns and preventing sleep deprivation before I become a registered nurse and it takes on the potential of causing errors and harming my patients. Sleep is not a joking matter when it comes to our career, health, and overall happiness. But sometimes it takes some humor about sleep to get us to pay attention...Watch this video for a humorous feminist perspective on sleep and then think about how not getting enough sleep has affected you!